Re: PIFLE (was Re: Are PIs useful?)

In message <199705151422.PAA06052@curia.ucc.ie> Peter Flynn writes:
[...]
> There is of course no reason why they could not just as well be used to
> pass signals to the XML processor, as currently proposed, either generically
> with <?XML version="1.0" rmd="none?> or specifically like <?JUMBO %mol=7?>

I kept quiet on this, but have to confirm that I have been using <?JUMBO ...?>
PIs :-).  I find them quite useful, and would be sorry to see them go.
Essentially I have been using them as interim patches until stylesheets come
along, but also to develop prototype modes of behaviour.  This has similarities
#if DEBUG
#endif
in C programs - i.e. they are very useful for development work but there are
probably better long-term solutions.  Since there are always going to be things
under development, this is at least one valuable role for PIs.

I would also strongly urge that there is a (Name="Value")* syntax because then
an application (*not* a parser) requires minimal coding.  (I asked about this
a little while ago and took the silence to assume this was so well agreed it
didn't require comment :-)  For example, I'm working on
<?JUMBO MODE="draconian"?>  (the default is worse :-)

	P.

--
Peter Murray-Rust, domestic net connection
Virtual School of Molecular Sciences