Re: Notes on the process

In message <33736F2E.D82197F8@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca> Paul Prescod writes:
> Jon Bosak wrote:
> > The case we're addressing with the recent decision about error
> > handling has to do specifically with the competitive landscape in Web
> > browsers.  There is nothing in the new language that prevents Web
> > browsers from handling error recovery any way they like.  What they
> > can't do is to behave in a way that doesn't conform to the spec and
> > *advertise themselves* as XML browsers.
>
> Does the spec use the word browser? Does an "XML browser" have to have

Yes (4.4:8) :-)

> an XML processor in it? "We are an XML browser, but we do not use an XML
> processor to parse the data."

I will continue to ask for clarification of the components :-)  In 4.4:8
the *processor* may decide whether to include the entity's content in a WF
document.  OTOH the next sentence hands this repsonsibility to the browser :-)

So we could have:
	FOO-parse saying I *will* include all entities in WF docs
	BAR-parse saying I *won't*
	M&N-browse may not get the choice.
Of course if there is an API between parse and browse this could be managed.

BTW if an entity is NOT WF formed, but included in a WF document, whether
an error is thrown will depend on the *parser* as far as I see it from
the spec.  A parser could announce that a doc was WF when its expansion
wasn't and this could cause confusion.  The *browser* might choose to
expand it and, not having been told there was an error, produce mangled
'WF' output.

So maybe there should be a similar clause to 4.4:7 for WF'ness.

	P.

--
Peter Murray-Rust, domestic net connection
Virtual School of Molecular Sciences