Re: 4.2 Location-source/Base address

> At 12:33 PM 3/4/97 -0800, Tim Bray wrote:
> >4.2.a Should we formalize at all the concept of a base address?
>
> Yes, it's generally useful for a variety of reasons, e.g. replication
> support, it's a real pity that HTML BASE is in general not better
> defined and understood.

True. It is a useful concept to formally define.

However, if we do, we need to establish what is the resolution
between discrepency between implied-resource-name (resource name used
to reach this resource) and the "base" value.

While we are at it, should we also build in the ability to have the
document its prefered resource name? The one of many paths to that
resource that is prefered to be remembered?

>4.2.c Should we formalize the concept of the implied location source?

Is this the same as: resource name used to reach this resource ?
If so, we do need the concept to express priority policy re expressed
location source.

Dave