Meaning of normative references [was: Update on namespaces]

len bullard wrote:
> David G. Durand wrote:
> > >The XML reference to ISO 8879 must be normative to prevent precisely
> > >this kind of bad judgement and unregulated process.
> >
> > I still disagree with this. A normative reference turns 8879 into mandatory
> > reading for implementors, and implies that _if_ there's a hole in the XML
> > spec, then 8879 may automatically be invoked to clarify things
>
> No.  It says where XML uses SGML as the intellectual basis of its
> construction, it is legally obligated to maintain that inviolate.

Huh??????

You seem to be using the term "normative reference" in some
way that I'm not familiar with. Please explain. The meaning
of the term "normative reference" that I'm familiar has exactly
the consequences that David points out.

[If this is an old, worn out, tired out topic, then please
reply off the list. I don't mean to beat a dead horse,
but I do need to absorb more of the culture of this forum.]

--
Dan