Re: Update on namespaces

David G. Durand wrote:

> I don't want to be defending colons a decade from now with the words "It
> seemed like a good idea at the time". If we're not sure what we're doing,
> we should wait. XML is plenty useful already, so let's not take any hasty
> decisions at the last minute.

That is eminently sensible.  The only drawback is if the nameless
WebLanders
begin to immediately propose, implement and market the solutions they
have in mind
already as "extensions to XML".  Sound familiar?  The cats have not
changed
their spots.  OTH, that is fear_by_observation talking and is not
rational.

To repeat:  make sure the reference to SGML is normative.  Then continue
to negotiate with ISO WG8 which while a slow process, is working
apparently
and will eventually get the optimum results with the highest confidence.

Len Bullard