Re: USES Notations (was part of Update on namespaces)

At 16:23 12/6/97 +1000, Rick Jelliffe wrote:

>No. The intent is to attach a notation to the document entity, not to the
doctype element.
>For example, when I have a new empty document, to say "all document instances
>must use XML and CALS table conventions."  Under your scheme, how can I do
that?

>Would you put in #FIXED notation attributes on the attlist declarations for all
>element types?

For the stylesheet you could used the new #ALL identifier, but for all your
other notations you definitely would not want to. You can only attach link
notation processors to valid link elements. You can only attach CALS tables
notation processors to elements that conform to the CALS table model
(presumably ones whose names are qualified using CALS::)

The XML-lang notation applies to the SGML declaration as well! Is it enough
to reference it as part of the DOCTYPE?

> How do architectural forms
>let me say "actual columns must agree with the column number attribute in
the table
>element"

That must be a text based-semantic that is indirectly associated with the
table element as that is the container for the columns. (This type of use of
SEEALSO as referenced in TC2 is invalid and needs challenging! Its not SGML
declaration dependent or generally applicable to all associated doctypes.)

> or "you cannot use  RCDATA declared content types in your element type
>declarations" or "you cannot use TEMP marked sections"

These constraints must be specified before the DOCTYPE is processed (if it
is). The safest place to specify this is in the SGML Declaration, which in
XML's case is fixed, and is automatically presumed, otherwise the xml-lang
stuff has to go in every Doctype statement.

> or "you can only be using the
>XML SGML declaration"?

This one is interesting. Can you by pointing to the XML spec from an SGML
declaration force that declaration to conform to the rules about SGML
declarations specified in that spec? I'm not sure whether this is valid.

>The additional requirement must be NOTATION

I see this is enshrined in the draft text for TC2, but want to know why -
what's wrong with pointing to a meta-DTD?

> How would you specify the things in Annex L or
>the proposed WebSGML TC as architectural forms?

OK, I admit NOTATION must be used here:-) (The non-Java coffee I made last
night obviously wasn't strong enough to keep me awake!)

----
Martin Bryan, 29 Oldbury Orchard, Churchdown, Glos. GL3 2PU, UK
Phone/Fax: +44 1452 714029  E-mail: mtbryan@sgml.u-net.com
For details about The SGML Centre contact http://www.sgml.u-net.com/
For details about the Open Information Interchange initiative contact
http://www.echo.lu/oii/en/oiistand.html