USES Notations (was part of Update on namespaces)

Please ignore that rubbish I just posted: I realised what was wrong with
Rick's suggestion!

>At 03:51 12/6/97 +1000, Rick Jelliffe wrote:
><!DOCTYPE x SYSTEM "x.dtd"
>	SEEALSO 	PUBLIC "IDN//w3.org//NOTATION xml-lang//EN"
>			PUBLIC "IDN//w3.org//NOTATION xml-link//EN"
>			PUBLIC "IDN//w3.org//NOTATION xml-style//EN"
>			PUBLIC "IDN//sgmlopen.org/NOTATION CALS table model//EN"  []>

This serves no purpose as the notations need to be tied to particular
elements or entities in the file, and this can only be done if they have
names, i.e. if they are declared as named notations in the internal/external
subset.

>Thus, the DOCTYPE declaration can become more like a full  DTD.  In the TC,
the SEEALSO
>(additional requirements) parameter is part of the SGML declaration. I
think this is wrong,

No it isn't! The point is that the public identifiers associated with
SEEALSO in the SGML declaration should not have a public text class of
NOTATION, it should be DTD, ELEMENT or the new AF. What SEEALSO is supposed
to tell you is what Architectural Form sets, or meta-DTD, the document
conforms to, not what notation it is coded in.

>and it would be more correct to put it in the DOCTYPE declaration, as in
the example above.

I must disagree (now I've had a coffee to waken me up:-))
----
Martin Bryan, The SGML Centre, Churchdown, Glos. GL3 2PU, UK
Phone/Fax: +44 1452 714029   WWW home page: http://www.sgml.u-net.com/