Re: Comments on Part 1: Asian characters

At 3:21 AM 6/12/97, Rick Jelliffe wrote:

>The question is not whether they are letters or digits in limbo, but whether
> they appear in common words.

>Personally, I can see no great value in allowing anything other than
>[01-9] as DIGIT in SGML and XML.

>  [01-9] conveys all the meaning  needed, and everyone understands it.

I agree.

The proposal to add these characters as additional namestart characters
makes a lot of sense.  But adding them specifically to DIGIT makes very
little, unless they transliterate directly to base-10 digits in Arabic
numerals.

If they're not Arabic digits (with different-from-Western-norm glyphs
associated), then it makes no more sense to add them than to add X,V,I,etc.
so one could make roman numerals.  Wouldn't it be exciting to be able
to use "&#xvi;" as a synonym for ""?  Glah!  :-(  Wouldn't that be
fun for a developer?

Dave Peterson
SGMLWorks!

davep@acm.org