Re: Comments on Part 1: Asian characters

Rick Jelliffe writes:
>Personally, I can see no great value in allowing anything other
> than [01-9] as DIGIT in SGML and XML. It just seems to complicate
>things, and IMHO is a spurious and unthinking kind of i18n.
>[01-9] conveys all the meaning  needed, and everyone understands it.
>
>Making the ideograph numbers into SGML/XML DIGITs means that users
>of native-language markup will be forced to use second-best terms,
>or to spell out kanji in kana, for many common words.

I completely and very strongly agree with Rick.

Fortunately, the current draft assumes the idegraphic character
representing digits as ideographic characters rather than digits,
right?

I found that  [#xFF10-#xFF19] /* Fullwidth digits */
are allowed as digits.  Since the compatibility zone has
no place in markups, this should be removed, anyway.
(I should have noticed this.)

Murata, Makoto
Fuji Xerox Information Systems

Tel: 044-812-7230   Fax: 044-812-7231