Re: 3.1.a All linkage info in markup not data?

From: Martin Bryan <mtbryan@sgml.u-net.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 13:27:52 +0000
To: w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
At 23:53 20/2/97 -0800, Tim Bray wrote:
>The ERB schedule calls for voting on Feb. 26 on these items.
>
>3.1.a Should we have a principle that all linkage information is encoded in
>GIs and/or attribute values, never in character data?

If by character data you mean  embedded parsed character data the answer is
yes. But the attributes as such must be CDATA to allow # to appear! There is
one proviso. There should be nothing to stop you repeating the attribute
information as the content of the link element. (Many of my links consist of
a URL that is an active hotspot!)
----
Martin Bryan, The SGML Centre, Churchdown, Glos. GL3 2PU, UK
Phone/Fax: +44 1452 714029   WWW home page: http://www.sgml.u-net.com/