Re: SERIOUS concerns about implementation

From: Bill Smith <Bill.Smith@Eng.Sun.COM>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 18:30:48 -0800 (PST)
To: w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
Len Bullard wrote:

> I think it necessary to say, "we are not fixing SGML; we are
> subsetting it to make it easier to apply for those cases
> where the full requirements of SGML are too burdensome, but
> otherwise, this is still SGML.  What we are doing with the
> linking is a different matter.  Here we have a subset and/or
> application of HyTime that is easier to understand and develop and
> will provide a much more powerful linking capability than is
> currently in use on the Internet."

Why doesn't the same apply to XML itself:

"Here we have a subset of SGML that is easier to understand and develop and provides more powerful markup than is currently in use on the Internet."

This is a positive statement about both XML *and* SGML and is an accurate statement of what has been accomplished.