Re: 3.1.a All linkage info in markup not data?

At 12:59 PM -0500 2/21/97, Steven J. DeRose wrote:
>At 11:53 PM 02/20/97 -0800, Tim Bray wrote:
>>The ERB schedule calls for voting on Feb. 26 on these items.
>>
>>3.1.a Should we have a principle that all linkage information is encoded in
>>GIs and/or attribute values, never in character data?
>
>No. Unenforceable, and sometimes it's useful anyway, such as for supporting
>links from every word to dictionaries/glossaries/etc, for links from 'the
>current selection', etc.

Sorry. I think we should say that all _XML-linking_ information is encoded
in GIs or attribute values. With generic markup people can _implement_ any
behavior that they can define -- but we are defining behaviors that people
can count on -- and links in CDATA are not such behaviors unless we define
how they work.

I think the fact that people can implement other linking mechanisms goes
without saying, but we should be explicit about exactly what is permitted
by XML linking.