Re: 2.1 a-d: Link Recognition by Reserved Attribute?

From: Christopher R. Maden <crm@ebt.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 14:34:41 GMT
To: w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
If there is to be a single mechanism, I strongly feel that it should
be an indirect one; whether attributes, PIs, or arch forms, I'm not
sure.

My reason is that XML is supposed to be a *semantic* markup language.
Both explanatory footnotes and bibliographic references could be the
same species of hyperlink, but I want to mark them up differently,
since they *are* different things.

However, if an implementor is implementing this, would it really be
hard for them to treat a GI that is identical to one of the known
attribute values as equivalent to specifying that attribute value?

-Chris
--
Christopher R. Maden                  One Richmond Square
DynaText SIT Technical Support        Providence, RI 02906 USA