Re: 1.c-d: Define a Link Processor and Communicate With It?

From: Martin Bryan <mtbryan@sgml.u-net.com>
Date: Sat, 01 Feb 1997 11:29:08 +0000
To: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>, w3c-sgml-wg@www10.w3.org

>1.c: Should we exclude relationships such as containment and
>succession from this spec?

No - We need concept like PARENT, CHILD, HERE and ROOT to make querying into
documents that do not have any IDs or otherwised named anchor (or whatever
they are called) points.

>1.d Should we specify a way for a document to provide a summary of
>the linkage machinery it uses?

If we can have a way of identifying the notation used for link definition,
with ideally that notation pointing to the address of a Java class that can
be used to implement the relevant notation, then we might be able make it
possible for blind browsers to process newly invented notations.
----
Martin Bryan, The SGML Centre, Churchdown, Glos. GL3 2PU, UK
Phone/Fax: +44 1452 714029   WWW home page: http://www.u-net.com/~sgml/