Re: Current Status of Discussion on RE/RS Handling

At 06:02 PM 9/26/96 CDT, Paul Grosso wrote:
>> From: "W. Eliot Kimber" <kimber@passage.com>
>> The rules we came up with are:
>>
>> An XML parser shall interpret white space and record ends in XML documents
>> as follows:
>>
>> 1. All white space, including RS and RE, immediately following start tags
>>    and immediately preceding end tags is not significant.
>>
>> 2. All other RS/REs are collapsed to a single space.
>
>Do you mean this as stated, or do you mean all sequences of white space
>consisting of RSs, REs, and spaces are collapsed to a single space?

I was hoping to see a response to Paul's question, but hadn't seen one yet?
I'm curious to understand how the proposal would address the white-space
in the following snippet.

<ROOT ID="H502400" RL="AD">
  <DS>WFMD-AA, WAFE MAIN DRAWER</DS>
  <Q UM="EA">1.0000</Q>
  <DWG S="D" PP="5" RL="AB">
  <USES>
    <REF PN="B018547" I="1">
      <Q UM="">6.0000</Q>
    </REF>
    <REF PN="B013284" I="2">
      <Q UM="">8.0000</Q>
    </REF>
    <REF PN="B018560" I="3">
      <Q UM="">36.0000</Q>
    </REF>
</ROOT>

bob

Robert Streich				streich@slb.com
Schlumberger				voice: 1 512 331 3318
Austin Research				fax:   1 512 331 3760