Re: questions about attribute declarations

W. Eliot Kimber writes:
 > At 07:33 PM 9/23/96 CDT, Michael Sperberg-McQueen wrote:
 > >Questions about attribute declarations I'd like to see discussed while
 > >the voting booth is still open:
 > >
 > >*  Should XML retain SGML's prohibition on multiple attribute-list
 > >declarations for the same element (11.3.1) or on multiple declarations
 > >for the same attribute (11.3.2)?
 >
 > While I like having multiple attribute list declarations for the same
 > element type, I think that we should not do it for XML, only because it
 > removes one more thing that would have to be mangled to go from XML to SGML.

One possible motivation for removing the restriction is to make it
convenient for a document entity to include declarations for just those
DEFAULT and FIXED attributes necessary for meaningful processing in
the absence of (the rest of) the DTD.

Am I wrong in thinking that the issue of how a parser is to obtain
these values has not been properly explored?

-Bill

--
William D. Lindsey
blindsey@bdmtech.com