Re: some topics we haven't yet discussed

Michael Sperberg-McQueen wrote:

>(Using the same syntax for declarations and instances cuts the size of
>the grammar approximately in half.  It also reflects a firm belief that
>structured information belongs in SGML documents.)

I believe in the second sentence, but the first one sounds like a red herring to
me, because:

1. The implementation code isn't cut in half, or anything like it. You still
have to process the semantics of the declarations.

2. The grammar may be reduced, but now you have to define and document a DTD.

3. Most users, and many experts, have trouble distinguishing tags, from
elements, from element types. If we use elements to define elements, the
confusion will only get worse.
--
Charles F. Goldfarb * Information Management Consulting * +1(408)867-5553
           13075 Paramount Drive * Saratoga CA 95070 * USA