Re: Capitalizing on HTML

At 10:26 AM 09/19/96 -0400, Paul Prescod wrote:

>I think we should expect XML browsers quickly, but should not depend on XML
>editors....

We might, however, get SGML editor vendors (most of whom are represented
here, so correct me if I'm wrong) to add a "Save as XML" feature -- most of
them are doing something close to that already, since they don't generally
minimize on output (if you're writing out SGML from a grove-like internal
representation, it's easier and maybe faster to write out all the tags than
to calculate whether any particular one is omissable).

Likewise, adding a "convert SGML to XML" filter to any existing SGML parser
looks pretty easy to me (it involves stuff like escaping more delimiters,
adding omitted markup, expanding shortrefs, etc -- a lot like the SGML
normalizer grail).

Steve