Re: Mixed content

On Mon, 16 Sep 1996 14:02:27 GMT, Gavin Nicol <gtn@ebt.com> wrote:

>>Text of p.
>>
>>Case 2:

>My understanding is that these would return *different* parse
>results. We could (if it is so desired) make it an application
>convention to strip leading and trailing whitespace.

Thanks Gavin. That's what I feared, so eliminating RE and RS characters doesn't
really solve the problem. Making it an "application convention" to strip some
whitespace just shifts the burden from a few parsers to all applications and
increases the chance of inconsistent treatment.  Better, I think, to eliminate
mixed content altogether as James Clark has proposed.
--
Charles F. Goldfarb * Information Management Consulting * +1(408)867-5553
           13075 Paramount Drive * Saratoga CA 95070 * USA