Re: short-tag considered unhealthy

At 09:26 AM 9/12/96 +0000, James Clark wrote:

>>   - the omission of attributes which have default values. ...
>
>I think there's an argument that this is an essential feature.  Some
>DTDs especially those using architectural forms have a lot of
>defaulted attributes on almost every element.
>
>On the other hand it complicates DTD-less processing: for example, it
>would make it hard for a browser to display a document correctly
>without the DTD.

This is another case where partial markup declaration would turn out to
be useful; I might not want to supply a whole DTD, but on the other hand
it would be real nice to send a few little morsels like the following
along with a document.

 <!ATTLIST PARA JUST (LEFT, MIDDLE, RIGHT) "LEFT">

Cheers, Tim Bray
tbray@textuality.com http://www.textuality.com/ +1-604-488-1167