Re: Transclusion

On Tue, 29 Oct 1996 13:58:10 -0500, "Steven J. DeRose" <sjd@ebt.com> wrote:

>The Term transclusion comes from Nelson's seminal book Literary Machines,
>and refers to a characteristic at the user level, not the parser level. The
>interactional semantic called transclusion doesn't care whether you parse
>the referenced data in the referencing context or not. The notion of
>"parsing context" is SGML-specific, and is itself out of context when
>discussing transclusion. For many cases of transclusion, the referencing or
>the referenced data, or both, may be in media that have not even have an
>applicable notion of "parsing".

Steve, thanks for clarifying this point. What the parser shows the application
is standardized in 8879. What the application shows the user is not. In
particular, text that is not in the SGML syntactic content could appear as
semantic content in the application's presentation of the document.

The point I was trying to make (which I see now has nothing to do with
transclusion) does concern whether an entity referenced by a syntactic entity
reference must be accessed and parsed. According to 8879, it must but, as Steve
correctly points out, the application -- as with any pcdata -- may choose
whether or not to show it to the user after parsing it.

The only way to avoid this required access and parsing is to use an entity
attribute.
--
Charles F. Goldfarb * Information Management Consulting * +1(408)867-5553
           13075 Paramount Drive * Saratoga CA 95070 * USA