Re: ERB decisions on A.17, B.9, and other questions

On Sun, 20 Oct 96 15:41:22 CDT, paul@arbortext.com (Paul Grosso) wrote:

>	<!ENTITY chap1 SYSTEM "chapter1.sgm">

>(I realize if we decide
>not to have external text entities in XML, then the first example above
>would have to be an NDATA, but that's irrelevant to my question.)

I realize that Paul was asking about URL syntax, but his last remark deserves
remarking on. Adding "NDATA SGML" to the declaration makes it a data entity,
even though it is in SGML notation. Data entities are not parsed in context, so
if we don't allow external SGML text entities, "chapter.sgm" could not be a
chapter in the element structure of the document containing this entity
declaration. It would have to be an independently parsable document.

(And "NDATA SGML" is an oxymoron; can't we have CDATA as well?)
--
Charles F. Goldfarb * Information Management Consulting * +1(408)867-5553
           13075 Paramount Drive * Saratoga CA 95070 * USA