Re: C.12 types of declared values for attributes?

On Thu, 17 Oct 96 13:23:55 CDT, Michael Sperberg-McQueen
<U35395@UICVM.CC.UIC.EDU> wrote:

>On 23 October 1996, the ERB will vote to decide the following
>question.  A straw poll indicates the ERB is leaning to keeping
>NAME(S) and NMTOKEN(S) but losing NUMBER(S) and NUTOKEN(S).
>
>C.12 Should XML change the set of types available for attributes?
>E.g.  by suppressing NAME(S), NUMBER(S), NMTOKEN(S), NUTOKEN(S) and
>adding constraints in the form of regular expressions, ISO dates,
>language-code, external-id, type IDREF, ... (7.9.4, 11.3.3)

I agree with David and Arjun. We only need CDATA and ID (which should always be
named ID). With a DTD, IDREF(S), ENTITY(S), and NOTATION can be useful as well.

SGML97 will have "regexp" and then some. The SGML Extended Facilities already
has it. WG8 has not yet designed a revised ATTLIST syntax to incorporate it
properly, though, so it is premature to include it in XML 1.0. (We'll have a
mailing list for SGML97 so all of you will be able to participate in the
design.)

--
Charles F. Goldfarb * Information Management Consulting * +1(408)867-5553
           13075 Paramount Drive * Saratoga CA 95070 * USA