Re: A7: CDATA, RCDATA, TEMP marked sections?

At 12:37 PM 10/11/96 EDT, lee@sq.com wrote:
>It's not clear to what extent XML has to be backwards-compatible with
>SGML, and in what ways, in order to succeed, and I am trying to probe
>that boundary.  For example, it seems to have been agreeed that there
>will be application conventions that an SGML system wouldn't know about,
>and clearly if you have no DTD, most SGML systems are hosed.

An area worth probing indeed; but in fact I know of no such application
conventions that are apt to make it into XML.  At the current time it seems
that XML will be a very pure subset of 8879, with the possible
exception of RS/RE rules.

Cheers, Tim Bray
tbray@textuality.com http://www.textuality.com/ +1-604-488-1167