Re: PNG Gets a Big Write-Up

From: Jon Bosak <bosak@atlantic-83.Eng.Sun.COM>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 1996 16:27:55 -0700
To: w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
CC: bosak@atlantic-83.Eng.Sun.COM
[Paul Prescod:]

| The "New" PNG (Portable Network Graphics) Spec got a nice write-up in
| C|Net.  I hope that when the time comes, a few months from now, we can
| a) get our message across as clearly, b) offer as many easy to
| understand advantages over HTML as PNG does over GIF and c) have the
| same support from the W3C in taking our message to the world.
|
| I'm a little concerned about that last point. Has anyone seen Dan
| Connolly around here. =) He's been critical of SGML in the past and I
| would hate to see us do a bunch of work on XML and not have W3Cs full
| backing in promoting it to vendors. I'm sure he has ideas about
| internationalization and entity referencing. (he's been critical of
| SGML's entity syntax)

Dan is a major supporter of SGML on the Web.  It is because of his
untiring efforts that there is a DTD for HTML.  He is the SGML ERB's
official liaison with W3C and monitors this effort as best he can
given the demands of all the other W3C activities that he's
responsible for.  The fact that he has not been uncritically accepting
of every feature of ISO 8879 does not mean that he and the W3C are not
supportive of this effort.

Jon