PNG Gets a Big Write-Up

From: Paul Prescod <papresco@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca>
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 1996 23:29:01 -0400
To: w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
http://www.news.com/News/Item/0,4,4040,00.html

The "New" PNG (Portable Network Graphics) Spec got a nice write-up in C|Net.
I hope that when the time comes, a few months from now, we can a) get our
message across as clearly, b) offer as many easy to understand advantages
over HTML as PNG does over GIF and c) have the same support from the W3C in
taking our message to the world.

I'm a little concerned about that last point. Has anyone seen Dan Connolly
around here. =) He's been critical of SGML in the past and I would hate to
see us do a bunch of work on XML and not have W3Cs full backing in promoting
it to vendors. I'm sure he has ideas about internationalization and entity
referencing. (he's been critical of SGML's entity syntax)

Paul Prescod