Re: Proposal to close reagle-01, reagle-02 (substantive)

Brian McBride wrote:

> At 18:16 06/03/2003 +0000, Jeremy Carroll wrote:
>

>> Brian, please prioritize discussion of this issue since
>> it is critical path for WebOnt.
>>
>> Proposal to close reagle-01, reagle-02.

>>  Suggest that parser should (but not SHOULD) canonicalize.
>

> I thought we were defining the syntax and semantics of a langauge, and
> assuming a processing model.
>
> If this will solve the webont problem, then can we say nothing at all?
> They just have to make sure they use a canonicalising parser?
>
> Brian

The actual changes I propose that suggest that parser should canonicalize are:

1: adding test(s) that are based on that asusmption (We have not included
tests in the test suite that require C14N).
2: adding following note to concepts:
[[
Note: For systems which reason about RDF graphs
it is suggested that the canonicalization be
performed on XML input. The internal representation
and non-XML external representations should be
in canonical form.
]]

There is some webont resistance to the cost of c14n, and the added
complexities they perceive. It has not helped that Pat felt a need to spell
out the L2V mapping of rdf:XMLLiteral in the semantics doc.

By spelling out the obvious implementation we may make it clearer that
webont implementors just do a string compare.

This text does not preclude other implementations even for reasoning systems.

Jeremy