Re: RDF Use Case: scraping metadata from the web

Martin Duerst wrote:
> At 22:49 03/07/31 +0100, Brian McBride wrote:

[...]

> Hello Brian,
>
> I think this discussion about use cases is very useful,
> and is helping us a lot advancing our common understanding.

In that case it must be doing you more good than me.

> Rather than refining the use case, let me extend it. Assume that
> the RDF created by scraping all kinds of <title>-like elements from
> all kinds of document formats is viewed in some kind of RDF tool.
> This tool may use language information to disambiguate glyph shapes,
> or it may use language information to appropriately speak the texts
> to users with disabilities. If there is a clearly defined and
> uniform way to have language information for XML literals, then
> that can easily be done. Otherwise, this informations is most
> probably just ignored.
>
> Please note that for my extension of the use case, it would be
> enough to have xml:lang on a <dummy> element internal to the
> XML Literal. But that, as we have discussed, does not work for
> the original part of the use case, where we were concerned with
> markup integrity. We can solve half of the use case with one
> solution, and the other half with the other solution, but the
> solutions are different and so don't work together.

I'm still at the point of looking for a use case to demonstrate that
markup integrity is a real problem.

You suggested that your issue has to do with multiple users doing the
same thing differently and I asked you to refine the use case we have
been discussing to better illustrate your issue.

I don't see how this use case illustrates a problem with markup
integrity; rather it assumes that problem.