RE: xmlsch-04 values without lexical forms

No, I don't think you're missing anything. Though I would put all
of the above simply as informative and note that it is completely
out of scope for RDF Datatyping as RDF doesn't actually see a
union datatype as a union datatype, but as an rdfs:Datatype with
a clear and regular L2V mapping. And yes, the default disabiguation
rule is always used -- but *we* don't use it, rather, RDF simply
provides no means to use xsi:type therefore one cannot override its
use by an XML Schema datatype savvy processor.