RE: 'Peter proposal' on typed literals

I fully appreciate that fact.

> Please can you explain the new information that was brought up
> and the reason for this particular solution.

Simple. As Peter points out, and I agree, having a single "special"
datatype that does not work the same as all other datatypes is a
problem.

> > Where the interpretation of such XML literals would be akin
> > to that of M&S along with the new considerations of
> canonicalization,
> > and such.
>
> I wouldn't cite M&S as particularly specific on this point.  We
> discussed this many times before and parseType="Literal" was too
> vague in M&S.

Well, we certainly would be following the intent of the charter if
we clarified things accordingly.

I think the WG would have a very strong and fast concensus of how
non-datatype XML literals would be defined and the editorial effort
would not be prohibitive.

> > Thus parseType="Literal" would not result in a typed literal of
> > any kind, and the datatype rdfs:XMLLiteral would be removed
> > from all RDF specs.
>
> OK, I'm clear on what you want to do.  I want to know why.

So that *all* rdfs:Datatype's would have identical treatment.

> > As a second part of this proposal, lang tags would simply be
> > ignored for typed literals and removed from the graph syntax
> > for typed literals entirely. Thus
> >
> >    <rdf:Description rdf:ID="foo" xml:lang="en">
> >       <some:property rdf:datatype="&xsd;int">10<some:property>
> >    </rdf:Description>
> >
> > would result in the triple
> >
> >    #foo some:property "10"^^xsd:int .
> >
> > and not
> >
> >    #foo some:property "10"@en^^xsd:int .
> >
> > --
> >
> > I guess these really constitute two proposals, but the first enables
> > the second, and both address last call comments.
>
> Yes and on this second proposal, please explain what new information
> means this change is required.  Which specific last call comments
> (URIs please) does it/they address?
>

> Both of these will cause significant implementation
> rewritings/reversions - and I *do* know this since I recall changing
> it last time.  Plus there is also having to update/revert and check
> several test cases and WD text changes.

Fair enough. But I think this falls within the scope of "doing it right
this time around".

Patrick