Re: a cunning plan (was: Re: On Consensus)

This is a nice formulation of the very schism I see
happening if both tidy and untidy semantics persist.

It illustrates how knowledge created by a system which asserts

rdf:Property rdfs:subClassOf rdfs:WeakDataTypingProperty .

cannot merge freely with knowledge created by a system which
asserts

rdf:Property rdfs:subClassOf rdfs:StrongDataTypingProperty .

without mass conversion.

Is this really the kind of SW we want?

Why is it such a chore for folks who want inline literals
to be interpreted as strings to simply declare the intended
string datatype for those properties, allowing troublefree
syndication of knowledge from arbitrary systems? E.g.

   dan:age rdfs:range xsd:string .
   pat:age rdfs:range xsd:integer .

If and when the interpretation is fixed in terms of the property,
then it should be expressed in terms of the property. If, on the
other hand it is not fixed by the property, then local explicit
datatyping must be used. E.g.

   _:x rdf:li <xsd:string>"10" .
   _:x rdf:li <xsd:integer>"10" .

Why are folks so hell-bent on keeping the property-bound datatyping
semantics hidden in the application layer?!

Patrick

[Patrick Stickler, Nokia/Finland, (+358 40) 801 9690, patrick.stickler@nokia.com]