Re: The case for untidy literal semantics

Brian McBride wrote:

> At 11:39 25/09/2002 +0300, Patrick Stickler wrote:
>

>> [Patrick Stickler, Nokia/Finland, (+358 40) 801 9690,
>> patrick.stickler@nokia.com]
>>

>> > Some RDF assumes string based semantics for literals.  [There ought
>> to be a
>> > reference here, perhaps something from RSS ...
>>
>> RSS presumes value-based semantics.
>>
>> C.f. http://web.resource.org/rss/1.0/modules/syndication/, e.g.
>

> Interesting.  Do you think RSS uses value based semantics throughout?
> Hmm, what test do we apply to tell the difference?

As a member of the RSS-DEV working group, and a co-author of the RSS 1.0
  spec, I feel pretty confident in saying that the RSS spec doesn't have
a well worked out position on way or the other. You can use RSS and
extend it with other RDF namespaces in any way you like. The RSS 1.0
built-in properties are, in my experience, perfectly deployable from a
tidy perspective. I don't think there's much mileage to be gotten from
trying to co-opt RSS as strong evidence one way or another in this
debate. But if you want an RSS perspective on our current troubles: the
main thing that RSS needs from RDF Core is some cleaned up specs, as
swiftly as possible, rather than spending a couple more months polishing
our understanding of subtle and obscure issues to do with literals.
RSS-DEV is a very practical-minded group and I fear would view our
current debate as needles-on-pinheads...

Dan