Re: monotonicity [was: Re: On Consensus]

Jeremy made some comments about (non-)monotonicity with which I'm not sure
I agree.  But I think the thrust here is worth exploring.  To put it bluntly:

   Would it be acceptable to abandon the goal of monotonicity for uses of
untyped literals?

Which I think is along similar lines to what Brian is suggesting here.

The non-monotonicity I'm contemplating is to assume (default) that untyped
literals are strings unless more explicit information is available.

Given that use of untyped literals seems to correspond to a "scruffy" style
of information modelling, and an "unscruffy" equivalent can always be
achieved by using bNodes and typed literals (with provision for explicitly
unknown typing), it seems worth exploring whether loss of monotonicity for
the "scruffy" style is truly harmful.

I think this at least suggests a migration path from all forms of current
usage.

#g (who is yet undecided)