Re: xml:lang and XML infoset: two new datatypes

Patrick Stickler wrote:

> I've tried to make the following point before, and will try again.
>
> The datatype of a literal is disjunct from any xml:lang
> attribution, and a literal can be specified for both. E.g.
>
>    xsd:string"This string is not a valid token."-en
>    xsd:token"moi"-fi

Language-tagged strings in RDF are not subtypes of xsd:strings, and
aren't subtypes of xsd:tokens either. Is that what you are claiming? In
mathematical terms, there is no total injective function from
language-tagged strings to xsd:string...

> Thus, it is not always the case that the datatype for language
> qualified literals is xsd:string. It may be some subtype of
> xsd:string or other string type, and the specific datatype
> is of course significant.

No, it cannot be a subtype of string. It can only be a derived type
defined over a cross-product xsd:string x xsd:string.

> And although the xml:lang does not affect the L2V mapping
> and is ignored by the datatyping machinery, it still is
> relevant to applications.

Of course, therefore language-tagged strings should be a separate
datatype. I don't see any utility of making the language attribution
orthogonal to datatyping.

Sergey