Re: Comments on new datatyping document, part 1

At 12:21 PM 9/10/02 +0300, Patrick Stickler wrote:
> > If we suppose that untyped literals are
> > tidy, so we can have entailments like:
> >
> > The second paragraph of this section reads:
> > [[
> > RDF Datatyping employs rdfs:range to associate a datatype class with a
> > particular property. The associated datatype may be taken to to constrain
> > all values of the property to correspond to members of the value space of
> > the designated datatype, and according to the characteristics of RDF
> > datatypes thereby also constrain all lexical forms to members of the
> > lexical space of the datatype.
> > ]]
> > The problem, I think, is with the clause beginning "and according to ...".
>
>Yes. It needs rewriting. It's not meant to say what you seem to be
>reading into it. It has nothing whatsoever to do with inline literals,
>only explcitely typed literals, and of course, that should be made clear.

OK, I think it is *very* important to make that clear.  It wasn't clear to
me (and I did reread several times), and to me it has a key effect on
interpretation of the text.

Also, I'd suggest avoiding he term "inline literals" -- I'm not sure what
it means here.

#g

Graham Klyne
<GK@NineByNine.org>