Re: in line literal semantics (and some thoughts on CC/PP)

I agree with Jeremy in the following points:

(1) At this point, we should aim for the minimum specification that we can
all agree is needed

(2) I have a slight preference for untyped literals being untidy, but that
preference is somewhat lessened by the availability of explicitly typed
literals (rationale:  the use of explicit typing pushes many of the
consistency checking issues to being some form, of simple
schema-consistency computation;  for the few remaining cases where
long-range typing really is required, the introduction of explicit bNodes
is not such a burden [my interpretation of an observation of Brian's]).

(3) I find very attractive the option of leaving semantics very weak for
untyped literals (in this revision of the spec).

But...

There is one point I think should be considered, though not necessarily as
part of the specification:  there are existing applications that use
untyped literals -- if we leave their semantics very weak, then there is a
probable impediment to participation in a "full-strength" semantic web.  I
think it might be helpful to outline possible migration paths for these
applications.

Consider CC/PP, which currently recommends constructs like:

   <rdf:Description about='HardwarePlatform'>
      <ccpp-client:pix-x>1024</ccpp-client:pix-x>
   </rdf:Description>

intended to interpreted in conjunction with this schema:

   <ccpp:Attribute rdf:about='http://www.w3.org/2000/07/04-ccpp-client#pix-x'>
     <rdfs:label>Pixel display width</rdfs:label>
     <rdfs:domain rdf:resource='http://www.w3.org/2000/07/04-ccpp#Component'/>
     <rdfs:range
rdf:resource='http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-datatypes#integer'/>
     <rdfs:comment>
       For raster displays, the width of the display in pixels.
     </rdfs:comment>
   </ccpp:Attribute>

and

   <rdfs:Class rdf:about='http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-datatypes#integer'>
     <rdfs:label xml:lang="en">Integer value</rdfs:label>
     <rdfs:subClassOf
rdf:resource='http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#Literal'/>
     <rdfs:comment xml:lang="en">
       This class is used to represent any CC/PP attribute value that
       is an integer number.
     </rdfs:comment>
     <rdfs:seeAlso rdf:resource=
         'http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2/xmlschema-2.html#integer'/>
   </rdfs:Class>

A weak semantics for untyped literals would mean that RDF alone does not
define all of the meaning here that would be gleaned by a specific CC/PP
application, namely that the value of property 'pix-x' is an integer.  The
RDF meaning would not be wrong, but it would be incomplete.  A more
complete meaning would be available by specifying something like:

   <rdf:Description about='HardwarePlatform'>
      <ccpp-client:pix-x
rdf:dattype='http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-datatypes#integer'>1024</ccpp-client:pix-x>
   </rdf:Description>

but this would not be compatible with present-day UAPROF and CC/PP
specifications.

The migration path is to point out that the current UAPROF/CCPP is valid
(if complete) RDF, and to recommend that future versions recognize an
explicit datatype attribute.

Graham Klyne
<GK@NineByNine.org>