RE: Datatyping: moving away from "literal as 3-part thing" to "literal as dt+opaque bit"

You are missing my point entirely.

I am not asserting that xml:lang is part of the XML Schema datatype
interpretation of the literal.

I am asserting that the xml:lang code is part of the *RDF* representation
of the literal, and made available to *RDF* applications, and when
it comes to interpret the unicode string portion of a literal in terms
of a datatype, that xml:lang code is not relevant.

Let me repeat again, in case the above was not sufficiently clear:

The xml:lang code is *not* part of RDF Datatyping, even though it might
be included in the structure of an RDF literal.