Re: n-triples for datatype values [was: Agenda for RDFCore WG Telecon 2002-10-18]

On Thu, 2002-10-31 at 14:31, Patrick Stickler wrote:

> [Patrick Stickler, Nokia/Finland, (+358 40) 801 9690, patrick.stickler@nokia.com]
>
> > To me, using "^^"   makes it clear that ^^ is a syntactic thing
> > whose semantics are in fact equivalent to "^"  except that
> > the formal triples representation is different.
> >
> > So Jos, you can if you want dismantle the triple into two.
> > You will have a semantically equivalent graph.
>
> Well surprise surprise. I guess my suspicions about ^^ were correct.

Hmmm... I wonder. I think either TimBL misspoke or you're
reading more into it than he meant. But I can't reach
him to confirm just now; in any case...

> I reiterate my opposition to the use of ^^ in the abstract syntax.
>
> A typed literal node may *not* be "dismantled" into
> additional triples, even if it might be deemed to be semantically
> equivalent to an expansion into a bnode with datatype property
> (and I am not convinced that it is).
>
> If an application wishes to define rules to infer those additional
> triples, fine, but the ^^ delimiter does not function in any way
> like ^ in N3.
>
> I would like either for the delimiter to be removed entirely or
> for there to be an explicit statement that such "dismantling"
> of the typed literal node is not licensed by the RDF specs.

It's clear enough to me that the dismantling isn't licensed,
but I don't mind a little redundancy.

I find it hard to see how the delimiter makes any difference;
I remain satisfied with delegating to editorial discretion
(even if that means taking ^^ out).