Re: Typed literals text

On Thu, 2002-10-17 at 01:07, Patrick Stickler wrote:
> [...]
[...]
> > XSD says:
> > http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2/#string
>
> I consider the XML Schema position to be far too extreme. Yes, some
> writing systems may not be expressable as a plain Unicode string,
> but many, of not most, are, and as you point out, there is no reason
> why there could not exist a subtype of xsd:string which includes
> a specialized lexical grammar to provide for such writing systems.
> In fact, I would argue that an XML literal, in RDF at least, is
> really a subtype of xsd:string, with a lexical grammer that reflects
> lexical forms of XML infosets.

Hm... that argument suggests that integer and date
are subtypes of xsd:string too, with a lexical
grammar that reflects numerals and date-strings.

XML infosets are not strings any more than
integers are.

> IMO, XML Schema got it wrong.

I disagree.

Moreover, XML Schema followed the advice[1] of the
I18N WG on this; I recommend we do likewise.

If we do otherwise, I'll be obliged to get the I18N
WG to confirm that we had a good reason for doing so.

[1] I can't seem to find records of their advice.
But I'm pretty sure it's there, and I will have
to check with the I18N WG, as well as the
XML Schema WG, if we do otherwise.