Re: Yet more XSD/RDF

On Tue, 2002-11-26 at 08:51, Jeremy Carroll wrote:

> I completed my investigation doc.
>
> See:
>
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2002Nov/att-0092/02-index.ht
> ml
>
> More important points are:
>
> - there are issues with the XSD document: most is clear, a small part is
> clear in the opposite direction.

Yes, clearly this text is inconsistent with other parts of the
spec:

|  Note that a consequence of the above is that, given
|  ·value space·  A and ·value space·  B where A and B are not
|  related by ·restriction· or ·union·, for every pair of values
|  a from A and b from B, a != b.

I'd like this WG to report our problems with that text.
Failing that, I guess Jeremy and I can report it.

> - types derived by restriction correspond to rdfs:subClassOf
> - don't use xsd:QName, xsd:ENTITY, xsd:ENTITIES

Amen. I came to that same conclusion in my investigation.
http://www.w3.org/2000/10/swap/util/datatypes.n3

I found that all these were goofy:

    # dt:QName # omitted due to ambiguity
    # dt:NOTATION # omitted; DTD support not merited
    # NMTOKEN
    # NMTOKENS
    # ID
    # IDREF
    # IDREFS
    # ENTITY
    # ENTITIES

some for more aesthetic than technical reasons, I suppose.

> - even if we stick to the bits that are clear then implementation looks
> hard.

Yes; I didn't have this information when we made our 11Oct
decision.

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-rdfcore-wg/2002Oct/0131.html
(items 7 and 8)

Though I was vaguely concerned...

[[
I'm quite concerned that the rdf:datatype proposal
is too complex to deal with in a timely manner;
The sorts of questions Graham asks in his 30Sep
message...
  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-rdfcore-wg/2002Sep/0370.html
could take quite a while to sort out.

We really expect to
get all this abstract syntax of integers/dates stuff right?
]]
-- http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-rdfcore-wg/2002Oct/0031.html

Likewise the 6Sep decision
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-rdfcore-wg/2002Sep/0081.html