Re: More on XSD in RDF

[Patrick Stickler, Nokia/Finland, (+358 40) 801 9690, patrick.stickler@nokia.com]

----- Original Message -----
From: "ext Jan Grant" <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
To: "Patrick Stickler" <patrick.stickler@nokia.com>
Cc: "ext Dan Connolly" <connolly@w3.org>; "Brian McBride" <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>; "ext Jeremy Carroll" <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>;
"w3c-rdfcore-wg" <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>
Sent: 26 November, 2002 11:55
Subject: Re: More on XSD in RDF

> On Tue, 26 Nov 2002, Patrick Stickler wrote:
>
> >    xsd:decimal rdfs:subClassOf xsd:float .
>
> This isn't true, because 0.1 does NOT occur in the xsd:float value
> space. (it's 2^-1 . 5^-1)
>
> >    xsd:float rdfs:subClassOf xsd:decimal .
>
> This is true if floats and decimal value spaces are just sets of
> numbers, as Jeremy described.

I think you are missing the critical point here. And that is that
the XML Schema specs say that *NEITHER* of the above are true.

Whether one might argue that the latter is true or not is completely
beside the point insofar as the RDF Core WG is concerned. We do
not own XML Schema datatypes. We have provided a datatyping solution
that allows folks to use XML Schema datatypes in RDF. Such usage
can and should respect that there is no defined intersection of values
between xsd:float and xsd:decimal.

If folks want to ensure that

    xsd:float rdfs:subClassOf xsd:decimal .

is true in the XML Schema specs, then that should happen in/with the
XML Schema WG. It's not *our* concern insofar as getting the RDF
specs out with a sufficient set of test cases.

RDF datatyping works perfectly either way.