do bad datatype literals denote [was Re: Datatype test cases ...]

At 14:49 20/11/2002 +0000, Jan Grant wrote:

[...]

> > We know that:

> > entails
> >
> >   <a> <b> _:l .
> >   <c> <d> _:l .
> >
> > for all datatypes except rdf:XMLLiteral.
>
>It does? Doh.

I think so, but don't take my word for it.  Jeremy?

>I still think that's broken; but I'll fix the test case.
>Basically these cases outline the various issues - I'll correct them as
>appropriate.

Nah - see below - you got it right unless we know that datatype is not
rdf:XMLLiteral.  We know its not called that, but unless we make a unique
name assumption, we don't know that its not another name for the same thing.

[...]

>NO. This is related to what Pat was complaining about. Basically, a
>"Positive entailment test" with premise document P and consequent
>document C passes if:
>
>         - P has an interpretation (ie, contains no semantic errors
>           wrt the constraints imposed by the interpretation rules used
>           for the test case) AND
>         - P entails C.
>
>A "negative entailment test" passes if:
>
>         - P has no valid interpretations (contains a semantic error) OR
>         - P is ok but does not entail C.

OK, so because its a neg entailment of the empty graph, then by this rule,
there can be no valid interpretations.  I thought the model theory had bad
datatype lex forms denoting something though, in which case there is an
interpretation.  Right, from 3.4 of the MT:

[[For any typed literal "sss"^^ddd in G, if I(ddd) is in D and 'sss' is not
a valid lexical form for I(ddd) then IL("sss"^^ddd) is not in LV]]

and

[[(this) condition requires than an 'ill-formed' typed literal, i.e. one
where the literal string is not in the lexical space of the datatype, not
denote any literal value. Intuitively, such a name does not denote any
value, but in order to avoid the semantic complexities which arise from
empty names, we requires such a typed literal to denote an 'arbitrary' value.]]

Thus there are interpretations of the graph

   http://www.w3.org/2000/10/rdf-tests/rdfcore/datatypes/test002.nt

and the test does not work

[...]

>I'm happy to revise this if you think it's necessary.

Lets get confirmation first