Re: missing (and incorrect) RDFS axioms

At 09:34 PM 11/8/02 +0100, Jos De_Roo wrote:

> > > ...did we agree that all literals are resources?

Er... what *is* a literal here:   if, for some datatype, we have:

     v = L2V(l)

is l the literal, or v?   I think v is a resource (member of IR) but l is
not necessarily so.

I think Jeremy's argument applied to v.

Intuitively, I would say that l is the literal, not v.  E.g. the MT draft,
section 1.2, describes a literal as a "referring expression".

But in another message, Pat says:
>aaa ppp <any literal, even a bad one>
>
>-->
>
>aaa ppp _:xxx .
>_:xxx rdf:type rdfs:Literal .

which seems to be saying that v is the literal (if a literal is any member
of rdfs:Literal).  This is borne out by the MT draft (e.g. section 3.3.1).

I'm beginning to wonder what is the point of rdfs:Literal.  Fort example,
looking at:
    rdfs:comment rdfs:range rdfs:Literal
that simply seems to say that the range is a value that *can* be expressed
using a literal, not that it *must* be expressed that way.  Which I think
is quite right.  Why do we care?

> > > ...did we agree that all literals are resources?
>
>well, it's in the current MT draft
>rdfs:Literal rdfs:subClassOf rdf:Resource .
>(and I, for one, strongly agree)
>
> > regardless, it's redundant to say range Resource.
> > Please let's don't.
>
>I agree and try to avoid it in
>http://www.agfa.com/w3c/euler/rdfs-rules
>(which is still in a web with owl)