Re: Primer synch with other documents

pat hayes wrote:

>> (onlist)
>>
>> Just a notification that I'm going to change the Primer references to
>> be  the same as those in both the Syntax and Concepts docs (e.g.,
>> RDF-VOCABULARY instead of RDF-SCHEMA).
>

> In the MT I use 'vocabulary' to mean a set of urirrefs (that get
> interpreted by an interpretation). The prefixes rdf- , rdfs-, etc, are
> used to distinguish different senses of satisfiability, entailment etc,
> which refer to different kinds of interpretation. That means that it
> would be natural to take 'rdf-vocabulary' to mean a set of urirefs being
> interpreted using the RDF interpretation rules (which in this case means
> that rdf:Property and rdf:type have to interpreted correctly, but the
> rest is peanut butter). Would that cause any confusion, do you think?

Well, just to clarify something, what I was talking about wasn't
terminology for use in discussion, but merely citations, i.e., now the
Primer reference section lists:

[RDF-SCHEMA]
RDF Vocabulary Description Language 1.0: RDF Schema , D. Brickley and R.
V. Guha, Editors. Work in progress, April 2002. World Wide Web
Consortium, 30 April 2002.etc. etc.

And I'm going to change [RDF-SCHEMA] to [RDF-VOCABULARY].  I'm not (at
least, not yet) worried about the meaning of "rdf-vocabulary".

However, since you've asked, let me see if I've understood you
correctly:  you're going to be able to say that a given collection of
URIrefs, considered as an "rdf vocabulary", would involve one kind of
interpretation, considered as an "rdfs vocabulary", would involve
another kind of interpretation, and considered as (say) an "OWL
vocabulary" would involve yet another kind?  That seems reasonable.
There might need to be some discussion somewhere to point out, for
example, that with this definition of "vocabulary", vocabulary defined
in the "RDF Vocabulary Description Language" could sometimes appear in
non-rdf vocabularies (if you see what I mean):  say, that the term
http://www.example.org/classes/Person defined in an RDF Schema might
appear in something other than an "rdf vocabulary" in your sense (it
might appear in an OWL vocabulary).

--Frank