Re: n-triples for datatype values [was: Agenda for RDFCore WG Telecon 2002-10-18]

[Patrick Stickler, Nokia/Finland, (+358 40) 801 9690, patrick.stickler@nokia.com]

----- Original Message -----
From: "ext Graham Klyne" <Graham.Klyne@MIMEsweeper.com>
To: "Tim Berners-Lee" <timbl@w3.org>
Cc: "Jos De_Roo" <jos.deroo.jd@belgium.agfa.com>; <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>
Sent: 03 November, 2002 12:28
Subject: Re: n-triples for datatype values [was: Agenda for RDFCore WG Telecon 2002-10-18]

> My problem is that rational cannot be handled as an optimization of any of
> these others:  there are some values that rational can represent that
> cannot be represented exactly by the others (e.g. 1/3).

Right. Like

   "1/3"^^my:rational

which is a perfectly acceptable typed literal, and also a good example
of why we cannot be constrained to only XML Schema datatypes even though
we want to fully support them (as well).

>  (This was an
> objection I had to XML schema datatypes, to which I never really received a
> satisfactory response, but that's another story.)
>
> This idea of only allowing "extended by standards body work" seems to me at
> odds with the W3C's approach to extensibility in other areas.  In the case
> of RDF, we're allowing that certain entailments may not be available if the
> datatype mapping (lexical->value) is not understood by the software, but
> the framework is still usable for applications that don't need to
> understand those datatypes.  That seems like a good approach to me.
>
> So, if in your software you see "foo"^^datatypeURI with some datatype URI
> you don't understand, you just keep the whole thing together and treat it
> as an opaque blob, equal to somne other instance of "foo"^^datatypeURI but
> different from "bar"^^datatypeURI or "foo"^^someOtherURI.

Exactly. The core RDF MT should remain datatype agnostic and "ignorant",
allowing one to use any datatype whatsoever which conforms to rdfs:Datatype.

Patrick