Re: n-triples for datatype values [was: Agenda for RDFCore WG Telecon 2002-10-18]

right, so a standards body compliant implementtion
of an engine could do with that; that's what I thouhgt
when you said fixed set of datatypes
I think RDF is a rather neat way to extend on those ;-)
We also experimented with one generic numeral
type (and used single quotes for that e.g :Jenny :age '10'
where the '10' or the '+1.00E1' denotes the number 10)
which is actually always an internal double with a
slightly restricted interval for long and unsignedLong
but had some locale issues with C# (not with Java)
in that it forced to write '10,0' while in Belgium)

-- ,

                    "Tim Berners-Lee"
                    <timbl@w3.org>            To:     "Jos De_Roo" <jos.deroo.jd@belgium.agfa.com>, "Graham Klyne"
                    Sent by:                   <Graham.Klyne@MIMEsweeper.com>
                    w3c-rdfcore-wg-requ       cc:     <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>
                    est@w3.org                Subject:     Re: n-triples for datatype values [was: Agenda for RDFCore
                                               WG  Telecon 2002-10-18]

I think fixed in this case means "a small number extended by standards body
work",
rather than 'anyone can make a new one".  Interoperability at the atomic
datatype
level is important.  But maybe I am being near-sighted.  In languages like
python
it is important to have a very well-defined common set of atomic datatypes,
but the again the ability to make new ones is rather neat.

I guess I could imagine the implementations of code for integer, real,
floating point
and rational arithmetic being handled as optimizations.

Tim