Re: Feedback request

>At 09:28 PM 10/31/02 -0600, pat hayes wrote:
>
>>Quick request(s) for feedback. There are 5 parts to this message.
>>
>>Please say if you think that any of the following entailments
>>should NOT be valid in RDF or RDFS, or have any problems with the
>>reasoning sketched. Obviously "10" can be any string.
>>
>>1. (RDF)
>>aaa ppp "10" .
>>-->
>>aaa ppp _:xxx .
>
>According to the rationale that got us here (i.e. for tidiness), I
>think this MUST be valid.
>
>>2. (RDF)
>>aaa ppp "10"^^datatypefoo .
>>-->
>>aaa ppp _:xxx .
>
>Valid.
>
>>3. (RDF)
>>aaa ppp "10"@lang .
>>-->
>>aaa ppp _:xxx .
>
>Valid.
>
>>From the above, and assuming bare literals denote themselves, then
>>IR must contain all bare literals (cuzof 1) and all values that any
>>datatype can map them into (cuzof 2) and maybe all pairs of all
>>those things with lang tags (not yet sure about that last one). So
>>we might as well say that IR contains all of LV, seems to me. In
>>which case we would get
>
>When you say "all pairs of things with lang tags", are to nrefering
>to that which denotes or that which is denoted?

Denoted

>>4. (RDFS)
>>rdfs:Literal rdfs:subClassOf rdf:Resource .
>
>rdfs:Literal being anything denoted by a literal?

Yes

>>5. (RDFS)
>>aaa rdf:type rdfs:Datatype .
>>--->
>>aaa rdfs:subClassOf rdfs:Literal .
>
>That has rdfs:Literal containing all datatype values, or the union
>of all datatype value spaces?  (I think you said that before)  Seems
>OK to me.
>
>So bare literals (lexical form) are rdfs:Literal values (because of
>self denotation), but I not sure that says anything about typed or
>language-paired literals.

That itself doesnt, but the cases 2 and 3 above do, implicitly.

>>------
>>
>>Terminology question: now we have lists, should the term
>>'container' be understood to include lists as well as seqs, bags
>>and alts? If so, does anyone have an suggestion for a generic term
>>for the older containers? (Simple containers? Open containers?
>>Bushy containers?)
>>
>>------
>>
>>Can anyone fill in the blank for
>>
>>rdfs:comment rdfs:range ??? .
>
>Ooooh! Interestring question.  If we agree that such comments are
>always presented as strings in the RDF source, then (following DanC)
>I suppose it's some class that contains xsd:string UNION
><xsd:string,language-tag>.

Hmmm, do we have a name for that?

>(The caveat about strings:  do we allow a comment to be a URL
>pointing to a document?  I don't think so, BICBW.)
>
>>------
>>
>>Er..sorry, I ought to know this, but I am honestly unable to recall
>>where the hell we are now. Have we decided to NOT allow property
>>datatyping, ie the use of a datatype URI as a property to link a
>>node to a bare literal, with the datatype implication that the node
>>denotes the resulting value? Or to ALLOW it? That is, should
>>
>>6.
>>aaa ppp "10"^^datatypefoo .
>>--->
>>aaa ppp _:xxx .
>>_:xxx datatypefoo "10"
>>
>>or not? If so, how about the reverse entailment??
>
>My understanding is that we're not specifiying it, but not prohibiting it.

OK< people seem to agree on that. I think that there is a small place
in my brain labelled 'rdf datatyping' which has now rolled itself up
into a ball and refuses to move.

Ta for replies.

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola              			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32501           				(850)291 0667    cell
s.pam@ai.uwf.edu   for spam