Re: Feedback request

[Patrick Stickler, Nokia/Finland, (+358 40) 801 9690, patrick.stickler@nokia.com]

----- Original Message -----
From: "ext pat hayes" <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
To: <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>
Sent: 01 November, 2002 05:28
Subject: Feedback request

> Quick request(s) for feedback. There are 5 parts to this message.
>
> Please say if you think that any of the following entailments should
> NOT be valid in RDF or RDFS, or have any problems with the reasoning
> sketched. Obviously "10" can be any string.
>
> 1. (RDF)
> aaa ppp "10" .
> -->
> aaa ppp _:xxx .
>
> 2. (RDF)
> aaa ppp "10"^^datatypefoo .
> -->
> aaa ppp _:xxx .
>
> 3. (RDF)
> aaa ppp "10"@lang .
> -->
> aaa ppp _:xxx .

I'm confused. Are you saying that all three literals above
denote the same thing _:xxx or is each graph to be taken
in isolation? I'm presuming the latter. If so, then it
looks OK to me.

>  From the above, and assuming bare literals denote themselves, then IR
> must contain all bare literals (cuzof 1) and all values that any
> datatype can map them into (cuzof 2) and maybe all pairs of all those
> things with lang tags (not yet sure about that last one). So we might
> as well say that IR contains all of LV, seems to me. In which case we
> would get
>
> 4. (RDFS)
> rdfs:Literal rdfs:subClassOf rdf:Resource .
>
> 5. (RDFS)
> aaa rdf:type rdfs:Datatype .
> --->
> aaa rdfs:subClassOf rdfs:Literal .

OK.

> ------
>
> Terminology question: now we have lists, should the term 'container'
> be understood to include lists as well as seqs, bags and alts?

I don't see why not. The all are, of course, containers even if
we specify the details of some more than others.

> If so,
> does anyone have an suggestion for a generic term for the older
> containers? (Simple containers? Open containers? Bushy containers?)
>
> ------
>
> Can anyone fill in the blank for
>
> rdfs:comment rdfs:range ??? .

rdfs:Literal

I.e. a comment can be an inlined literal, a typed literal, or
an XML literal.

> 6.
> aaa ppp "10"^^datatypefoo .
> --->
> aaa ppp _:xxx .
> _:xxx datatypefoo "10"
>
> or not? If so, how about the reverse entailment??

We should not define this entailment. If some application
wishes to do so, fine. But RDF datatyping does not define
datatyping properties.

   ddd rdf:type rdfs:Datatype .

does NOT entail

   ddd rdf:type rdf:Property .