Re: RDF Graph questions

>>>Brian McBride said:
> At 11:04 24/05/2002 +0100, Dave Beckett wrote:
>> (XML) Namespaces are artifacts of the RDF/XML serialization and are
>> not in the current model.
>
>  From M&S:
>
> [[
> RDF also requires the XML namespace facility to precisely associate each
> property with the schema that defines the property; ...
> ]]
>
> [[
> Property names must be associated with a schema. This can be done by
> qualifying the element names with a namespace prefix to unambiguously
> connect the property definition with the corresponding RDF schema or by
> declaring a default namespace as specified in [NAMESPACES].
> ]]
>
> [[
> In RDF, each predicate used in a statement must be identified with exactly
> one namespace, or schema.
> ]]

And isn't it great how we threw most of that out of our current specs.

Excellent.

Relying on the (mostly missing, evolving) semantics of XML namespaces
isn't going to work.  The first quote I assume is about the syntax
not the model.

The property name <> schema association can be done using
rdfs:isDefinedBy properties in the graph (though RDFS doesn't mention
this).  However since RDFS and such definitions are optional, this
doesn't have to be present and the check in the last quote you give
is therefore also not required.

Dave