Re: revised datatyping proposal, now twopence colored

At 15:43 24/02/2002 -0600, Pat Hayes wrote:
>http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/users/phayes/simpledatatype23-02-2002.html
>
>now has a diagram in it which might make it clearer

Following the process we agreed at the f2f:

I suggest the this proposal has the following two problems:

   o it does not implement the decision (as I understood it) to
     remove the doublet idiom.

   o it still provides redundant ways to the user of saying the
     same thing - introducing unnecessary complexity

I'm surprised to see dlex still present;  I know Pat mentioned it
on the telecon;  I should have sought clarification of the comment.

Is dlex really necessary?

[[
Sometimes one wishes to associate a literal with a value without specifying
a particular datatype.
]]

This does not seem to me be a strong need for this from the user's point of
view.  Does this need come from a technical requirement of the model theory?

I suppose this message comes down to:

   o is dlex necessary

   o if it is necessary for the model theory, can it be hidden in the model
theory and not exposed to the user.

Brian